LABELS

acidophilus (1) activated charcoal (1) ACV (2) Aga (2) allergy testing (1) aloe (1) anaesthesia (1) anti-acne (3) arnica (1) arrowroot (1) art (1) autumn (5) baby (2) baby wearing (1) bags (3) bath (2) beans (2) beet (1) bentonite (1) berries (1) blackberry (1) body (12) bread (6) breakfast (5) bruise (1) cake (8) calendula (1) calories (3) canning (6) carb-free (1) carbs (21) cargo pants (1) catnip (1) cedar (1) chamomile (3) child play (9) chocolate box (10) Christmas (6) cinnamon (2) clay (1) cleaning (6) cloth pads (1) clothing (1) clove (1) coconut oil (13) coffee (1) comfrey (2) cookies and bars (6) cradle cap (1) dairy (11) dairy-free (20) date sugar (2) decadence (19) decorations (3) dehydrating (2) denim (2) dessert (12) dinner (7) dressings (1) drinks (13) emergency first aid (5) EPS (1) essential oils (32) ethnic food (7) eucalyptus (1) face (9) feet (4) fever recovery (1) fish (1) frosting (1) frugality (61) garden (4) geranium (2) gifts (1) ginger (1) graham cracker pie crust (1) hair (4) hair mask (1) Harcombe (7) hawthorne (1) herbal (48) herbal hair mask (1) home remedies (57) homeschool (4) hot chocolate (1) hot cross buns (1) infused oil (2) jam (1) jewelry (1) juicing (1) kitchen (20) knitting (2) lactation (3) laundry (1) lavender (4) lemon (2) lemon balm (2) man food (31) marshmallow root (1) meat (2) mud (1) NeilMed (1) nettle (2) oatstraw (2) oil diffuser (1) orange (2) paint (3) parenting (4) pasta (1) pastry (3) peppermint (1) pimple (1) pine (1) post-op (1) postpartum (1) potato (1) powders (1) precautions (1) pregnant (1) preschool (23) pressure cooker (1) pus (1) quotes (1) rapha (2) recycling (3) red rose hips (1) roller ball (1) rose (1) rose hip (1) rosemary (1) salve (10) sauces (4) savory baked goods (10) seaweed (1) serotonin (1) sewing (10) shavegrass (1) snacks (18) soups and stews (7) spices (5) spring (2) St John's wort (1) stamping (1) star anise (1) stevia (1) stock (4) storage (1) sugar-free (1) summer (5) sunburn (1) sunshine salve (1) surgery (1) sweets (27) tea (13) tincture (3) travel (5) turmeric (1) tutorials (14) Valentine's Day (7) vegetarian (10) veggies (6) vitamins (1) walks (1) wardrobe (1) wedding (2) wildcrafting (4) winter (1) wormwood (1) yarn (1)

Thursday, September 12, 2013

ring sizing
















Ladies, you probably didn't give much thought to ring sizing in terms of band width, did you? If you were what I am told is the "average" girl, before you got engaged you had a vision of what type of ring you probably would prefer. I didn't even go that far, which is good because my lovely man surprised me by producing his own man-made (cruelty-free!) diamond set in white gold, rather than begging me for my Granny's diamond to have it reset as my engagement ring. That would have spoiled the whole surprise, you know!

Anyway, this is my ring. Engagement ring with diamond is also my wedding band from our JP ceremony when we actually got married on January 23rd, 2008, in the USA. The more usual plain wedding band we added at our actual wedding, on March 29th, 2008, in the UK. For my birthday this year, my Cariad took me to get my rings resized and fused together.

Girls, this is the part you need to know and I wish someone had told me!!! When you have such wide bands as these are, worn together fused or unfused, they create a wide band that fits very differently than the more standard, thinner bands that a lot of girls tend to choose. I don't have delicate, little, thin bands because my husband knew me pretty well and got it right in terms of style I would happily wear day-in-day-out through all manner of projects. But they're wide, thick bands, not just thinner bands with decorative tops. When you get your rings sized, IF you are like me and go for a more substantial look than the average wedding ring set, find the size that fits your finger just as the jeweler says it should -- tight over the knuckle -- and then add a half size! These are fused together to an American size 6, which means that they fit me as an American 5 1/2 thinner band set would do. To explain the other way, if you find that a 6 is most comfortable when you are getting your finger sized, plan ahead if you have wide bands and expect to need a 6 1/2 for the day when you wear your engagement and wedding bands together. After doing some research, it turns out that there is a standard tool every jeweler has for finding out the size of rings, called a ring mandrel...and there is another mandrel specially for sizing wide bands that is half a size larger than the normal mandrel, and which the average jeweler will probably not own, "because it's up to the customer" to determine correct fit for comfort. So...you or a friend may someday need to know this, if they have taste remotely like mine.

I hope this information helps somebody. I went for 5 years wearing my rings divided between my two hands and wishing they were together, but couldn't because they would magically "shrink" when put together. I love that my honey fixed them for me for my birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment